Monday, September 30, 2013

The hidden dangers in hay....

This is an example of what foxtail looks like.  This actually came out of one of my bales of Timothy hay.

This is an example of what foxtail can do to a horses mouth.


I all the years I have been buying Timothy hay, I have never experienced having loads of foxtail mixed in until this year.  In fact, I didn't even know what it was!  I have included a link to an informative page that relays the problems your horse can have by eating foxtail.  I have returned several bales of hay, but have been told I can't return anymore. I pay $40 for a 115 pound bale of hay that is loaded with foxtail, that could potentially cause major vet bills for me and the vendor tells me I can't return it?  Obviously, the farmer didn't pay much attention this year to what was growing in his hay and in return this is passed on to the consumer.  I find it hard to believe that I am the only one with this issue.  Either that or no one checks their hay.  I'm glad I've educated myself to the perils of foxtail and other nasty things that can hide out in our bales of hay.  Do yourself and your horse a favor and check yours too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment