Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Beware of Craigslist Ads for free animals!


Yesterday I was browsing through Craigslist in their "free" section looking for scrap wood for a project, when I came along this ad.  First off it's very disturbing to me that anyone would put an ad for a free horse on this venue.  Secondly, this particular horse looked very familiar to me. Having been a volunteer with the SFSPCA for many years, I saw numerous horses come and go out of the facility.  Some touched your heart in such a way that you never forgot them, others not so much.  I decided to reach out to my Facebook friends, especially ones that remained at the rescue and others that were there when this horse possibly came in.  Sure enough, I received a message from the founder and intake director Laurie Waggoner that this was Willow.  Of course, when you adopt from the SFSPCA, you sign a contract with them stating that at any time, for any reason you can no longer care for the horse you promised to take care of and love for the rest of it's life, you can call and they will come pick it up.  Well, I guess this individual didn't have the decency to do that and instead decided to place an ad for the free horse!  When Laurie called, they said their daughter was headed off to college so they couldn't keep the horse anymore.  In this picture Willow is underweight.  I guess they didn't have the funds to keep feeding her either, as the "Must Go ASAP" statement really says it all.  My message here is PLEASE don't adopt ANY animal, whether is be a cat, dog or horse unless you are sure that you are giving this animal a FOREVER home.  And if you do and as we all know unfortunate things happen to everyone, and you can no longer care for it, please don't let it get so bad that the animal suffers.  Most reputable adoption agencies will let you return the animal.  If they don't, then I wouldn't even consider adopting from them…..

0 comments:

Post a Comment